Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's Day: Spreading the love!


The past few years on Valentine's Day, I've had a tradition of handing out hand-made valentines to everyone I come in contact with. It's nice for everyone to feel appreciated, and I think Valentine's Day is about reminding the people in your life that you care about them. The idea of passing out valentines shouldn't end in elementary school, so continue the tradition and make someone's day!

A Valentine's Day two years ago, I wasn't going to be able to physically hand out my valentines to everyone, so when I was done cutting them, I laid them out on a desk and took a photo. I posted it on Facebook where I tagged everyone I couldn't see that day in the picture so they felt like they received a valentine. I just wanted them to know I was thinking of them.

This year, I am interning in a chocolate factory. This is awesome for many reasons, but now I can be more adventurous in personalizing my valentines. I want to include a chocolate heart with each valentine (If only this delicious treat would transfer well through Facebook!), and since this year I do have a significant other to worry about, I wanted to do something special for him.


Lake Champlain Chocolates' Retail Manager, Emily, decorates each of these hearts by hand with a personal message at the factory store in Burlington, Vermont. This year alone, she has over 160 requests of personalized messages to transcribe onto these dark chocolate, raspberry truffle-filled hearts called "Heart Throbs!" I put my order in early, and I decided to write a message to my boyfriend in German because he studied in Vienna for a semester where he spoke German.

Just wanted to offer a few pointers on how to make the holiday a little more enjoyable, personal and fun. If anything, get a box of chocolates, go skiing or riding, or watch a movie with a friend and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!

What's something special or fun you've done on Valentine's Day to differentiate yourself?

No comments: