Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Friday, An Experience

Well, this year was the first time I've ever gone shopping on Black Friday. I got up at 4 am and was standing in line by 5. The marketing and PR that goes on that day was well thought out. The Sonicare people for "a Plaque Free World" were standing outside Target and were very intense. They were getting some press out of it, it really seemed like a rally or a protest. Here's the picture I found, probably shot when I was walking out of the Target in the background! Earlier when I walked into Macy's I was greeted at the door by an Oceanspray representative with free samples of their new Cranenergy drink. I got a few extra, I'm a bit cranberry-obsessed. I found of the blog of a mom getting "free samples" in the mail from earlier this year, apparently the product has been around for awhile unbeknownst to me. It comes up second on a google search.

Finally, I've got another great example of how bloggers are becoming so influential for PR. A close friend and I always meet up to have coffee and a bagel at the European Shoppe. He and I were talking about how the Mayflower Inn & Spa sold for a few million, so I checked to see how much it sold for ($31 million if you're interested) and then found this great blog post about the spa that has to have been solicited by a PR person. It has great visuals and enticing text, plus it comes up on the first page of Google results for the Mayflower Inn. SEO much?

No comments: