Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Re: Social Interaction in a Digital Age

Connections between the classes I am taking this semester:

I am taking 4 classes that revolve around the same topics this semester. They are all intertwined, especially when it comes to a Web 2.0 world. I created this blog for my Contemporary Media Issues class, but I really think that these issues are relevant to Champlain students no matter if you're in the class or not. In that class we reflect on the impact of media on our lives, and weigh the pros and cons, looks at persuasive techniques in media texts. We've been focusing on the election, but also have been reading the books Censorship 2009, Feed, and Amusing Ourselves to Death. All of these titles relate to how the media are shaping our world and our future. If you are in the CCM division I would strongly suggest reading Feed and Amusing Ourselves To Death. Feed is very short, and the other title is very worthwhile and will give you a completely different perspective on being a media professional.

In my internet marketing class I am uncovering new ways to use PR and advertising. This definitely ties in with what I am learning in this online class of how people connect over the internet. I have to think about how a target market is using the internet and computer-mediated communication (CMC, for those who don't know) tools.

In my Writing for Public Relations class I have to keep in mind how to approach writing the copy for a number of different media - whether it's a website, print ad or brochure I need to think about the audience. Same thing with marketing. The persuasive techniques I am learning in my Contemporary Media Issues class really come in when I am writing for this class, as well.

Overall this semester seems to be an integration of a number of different professors and what they think is important to learn. I really am enjoying all that I am learning, although it's been difficult to balance all the work. It's a lot of group work, but it's definitely worth all the hands-on experience I am getting.

I completed my first video project with my friend and peer Kristen last week! Please check out the 1 minute video that is below this post...Can you spot any persuasive techniques?

2 comments:

Amanda Cooper said...

Great video! Love the fresh network! I live reallllly close to the Ground Round and although it's not the hippest place to eat, they belong to the VT Fresh Network. There's always great deals on dishes made from local ingredients or specials on local beers.

I love it!

MBenti said...

Amanda, thanks for the feedback! I was pretty happy for my first video. It's great that even chain restaurants are supporting local farmers.